Total Pageviews

Entri Populer

I prefer parents with messy houses

You've said good night to the Moon and the Gorilla, successfully counted One or Two Red or Blue Fish, and finally tucked Junie B. Jones back on the shelf. Congrats! Now, it's time for your Bedtime Story -- one can't-miss article to soothe your frazzled parent brain at the end of the day. Happy reading, and we'll see you tomorrow.

Why I Prefer Parents With Messy Houses

By Aaron Gouveia

aaron gouveia

How many times have you gone over to someone's house for a playdate -- and before you're even through the door, you get, "Please excuse the mess in here. It's been a DISASTER, but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to clean it"?

As a father of two precocious boys, I nod knowingly and walk in to find... nothing! Not only is there no mess, but the place is freaking immaculate. Floors you could eat off of, carpet freshly vacuumed, no crumbs on the couch, and not a speck of dust to be found. The throw rugs are all perfectly aligned, there's no dirty laundry draped on the banister or hanging from light fixtures, and -- wait a second, did they -- yup, someone has not only picked all the DVDs up off the floor, but also put them in alphabetical order. The family has three kids and a 90-pound Labrador, and yet this house would pass inspection from even the strictest drill sergeant our fine Armed Forces could produce.

It's like a museum; I'm immediately uncomfortable because I'm wondering if anyone has ever sat on that pristine white couch. And since there are no scuff marks or fingerprints on the walls, I start questioning if this is one of those rooms that no one is allowed in unless company is over. Then I wonder why anyone would have a room no one can go in! But mostly I'm afraid I, along with my rambunctious clan, will ruin anything we come in contact with.
Read the whole story

Follow HuffPost Parents on Facebook and Twitter

770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003